General Information about Parenting, Development, and Health
General Information about Psychological Disorders and Treatment
ADHD Symptoms, Testing, and Treatment:
Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder ( www.chadd.org)
• Putting on the Brakes: Understanding and Taking Control of Your ADD or ADHD, Second Edition By Patricia Quinn, MD and Judith Stern,
• Putting on the Brakes Activity Book for Kids with ADD or ADHD, Second Edition. By Patricia Quinn, MD and Judith Stern, MA
Anger Management, Oppositionality, and Defiance:
• What to Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems With Anger. Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.
• What to Do When You Grumble Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Negativity. Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.
• Your Defiant Child: Eight Steps to Better Behavior, Russell A. Barkley, Ph.D. and Christine M. Benton.
• Parenting a Child Who Has Intense Emotions: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Help Your Child Regulate Emotional Outbursts and Aggressive Behaviors, , Pat Harvey, LCSW-C and Jeanne Penzo, LICSW
Anxiety and OCD:
Anxiety Disorders Association of America http://www.adaa.org/
International OCD Foundation (www.ocfoundation.org)
• What To Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide To Overcoming Anxiety, Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.
• Talking Back to OCD: The Program That Helps Kids and Teens Say "No Way" -- and Parents Say "Way to Go.", John March, M.D., MPH
• Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents, 2nd Edition, Rapee, Wignall, Spense, Cobham, and Lyneham=
• What To Do When You Dread Your Bed: A Kid's Guide To Overcoming Problems With Sleep, Dawn Huebner, Ph.D
TEACCH Autism Program (www.teacch.com)
Autism Society (www.autism-society.org)
Autism Society of NC (www.autismsociety-nc.org)
Autism Speaks (www.autismspeaks.org)
• Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder and Other ASDs, Chantal Sicile-Kira
• The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger’s, Temple Grandin, Ph.D
Gifted and Talented Students:
North Carolina Association for the Gifted and Talented (www.ncagt.org/)
Learning Disabilities Association of America (www.ldanatl.org)
Child and Adolescent Bipolar Foundation (www.bpkids.org)
Depression Health Center (www.webmd.com/depression)
Prematurity and Developmental Delays:
• Preemie Parents: Recovering from Baby’s Premature Birth, Lisa McDermott-Perez
• Parenting Your Premature Baby and Child: The Emotional Journey, Deborah L. Davis, Ph.D. and Mara Tesler Stein, Psy.D.
• Newborn Intensive Care: What Every Parent Needs to Know, 3rd Edition, Jeanette Zaichkin, RN, MN, NNP-BC
Information about Early Kindergarten Entry and Testing:
Wake County Public Schools: (www.wcpss.net/Page/186))
Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public Schools: http://www.chccs.k12.nc.us/enrollment/early-entrance-to-kindergarten)
Orange County Public Schools (http://www.orangecountyfirst.com/content/kindergarten-enrollment)
Information about Local Public Schools:
Wake County Public Schools (www.wcpss.net)
Durham County Public Schools www.dpsnc.net)
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools (www2.chccs.k12.nc.us)
Orange County Public Schools (www.orange.k12.nc.us)
Chatham County Public Schools (www.chatham.k12.nc.us)
Information about Childhood Cancer and Chronic Illness:
CureSearch for Children’s Cancer https://curesearch.org/)
National Cancer Institute https://www.cancer.gov/publications/patient-education)
American Childhood Cancer Organization https://candle.org/)
Striving for More http://www.striving4more.org/)
St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital http://www.stjude.org/)
Sickle Cell Disease Association of America, Inc. http://www.sicklecelldisease.org/)
Cerebral Palsy Support (https://cerebralpalsygroup.com/)
Cystic Fibrosis Support (https://www.cff.org/)
• Childhood Leukemia: A Guide for Families Friends & Caregivers, Nancy Keene
• Educating the Child with Cancer, Edited by Nancy Keene
• Shelter from the Storm: Caring for a Child with a Life-Threatening Condition, Joanne Hilden, M.D. and Daniel R. Tobin, M.D.
• Childhood Cancer Survivors: A Practical Guide to Your Future, Nancy Keene, Wendy Hobbie and Kathy Ruccione
• How Do We Tell the Children? A Step-by-Step Guide for Helping Children Two to Teen Cope When Someone Dies, Dan Schaefer and Christine Lyons
• Living With Childhood Cancer: A Practical Guide to Help Families Cope, Leigh A. Woznick and Carol D. Goodheart, Ed.D.
• Gentle Willow: A Story for Children About Dying, Second Edition, Joyce C. Mills, Ph.D.
• Little Tree: A Story for Children With Serious Medical Problems, Second Edition. Joyce C Mills, Ph.D.
• Harry Goes To The Hospital: A Story For Children About What It's Like To Be In The Hospital, Howard J. Bennett, MD
Information about Trauma/Coping with Disasters:
Information about Postpartum Support:
Postpartum Support International http://www.postpartum.net/)
Postpartum Education and Support (https://pesnc.org/)
• Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression, Brooke Shields