General Information about Child Development, Health, and Parenting:
American Academy of Pediatrics (www.aap.org)
Zero to Three: National Center for Infants, Toddlers, and Families (www.zerotothree.org)
Healthy Children (www.healthychildren.org)
• Your Baby and Child, From Birth to age Five, Penelope Leach
• Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age Five, American Academy of Pediatrics,
Steven P. Shevlov MD, ed
• The Wonder Years: Helping Your Baby and Young Child Successfully Negotiate the Major Developmental Milestones. American Academy of Pediatrics and Tanya Remer Altmann
• Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline, Becky Bailey, Ph.D.
General Information about Psychological Disorders and Treatment//Medication Management:
American Psychological Association (www.apa.org)
American Psychiatric Association (www.psych.org)
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (www.aacap.org)
Association of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy (www.abct.org)
American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (www.aamft.org)
National Institute of Mental Health (www.nimh.nih.gov)
National Alliance on Mental Illness (www.nami.org)
Information about Specific Disorders
ADHD Symptoms, Testing, and Treatment:
Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (www.chadd.org)
• Putting on the Brakes: Understanding and Taking Control of Your ADD or ADHD, Second Edition By Patricia Quinn, MD and Judith Stern,
• Putting on the Brakes Activity Book for Kids with ADD or ADHD, Second Edition. By Patricia Quinn, MD and Judith Stern, MA
Anger Management, Oppositionality, and Defiance:
• What to Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems With Anger. Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.
• What to Do When You Grumble Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Negativity. Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.
• Your Defiant Child: Eight Steps to Better Behavior, Russell A. Barkley, Ph.D. and Christine M. Benton.
• Parenting a Child Who Has Intense Emotions: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Help Your Child Regulate Emotional Outbursts and Aggressive Behaviors, , Pat Harvey, LCSW-C and Jeanne Penzo, LICSW
Anxiety and OCD:
Anxiety Disorders Association of America http://www.adaa.org/
International OCD Foundation (www.ocfoundation.org)
• What To Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide To Overcoming Anxiety, Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.
• Talking Back to OCD: The Program That Helps Kids and Teens Say "No Way" -- and Parents Say "Way to Go.", John March, M.D., MPH
• Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents, 2nd Edition, Rapee, Wignall, Spense, Cobham, and Lyneham
• What To Do When You Dread Your Bed: A Kid's Guide To Overcoming Problems With Sleep, Dawn Huebner, Ph.D
TEACCH Autism Program (www.teacch.com)
Autism Society (www.autism-society.org)
Autism Society of NC (www.autismsociety-nc.org)
Autism Speaks (www.autismspeaks.org)
• Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder and Other ASDs, Chantal Sicile-Kira
• The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger’s, Temple Grandin, Ph.D
Gifted and Talented Students:
North Carolina Association for the Gifted and Talented (www.ncagt.org/)
Learning Disabilities Association of America (www.ldanatl.org)
Child and Adolescent Bipolar Foundation (www.bpkids.org)
Depression Health Center (www.webmd.com/depression)
Prematurity and Developmental Delays
• Preemie Parents: Recovering from Baby’s Premature Birth, Lisa McDermott-Perez
• Parenting Your Premature Baby and Child: The Emotional Journey, Deborah L. Davis, Ph.D. and Mara Tesler Stein, Psy.D.
• Newborn Intensive Care: What Every Parent Needs to Know, 3rd Edition, Jeanette Zaichkin, RN, MN, NNP-BC
Information about Early Kindergarten Entry and Testing:
Wake County Public Schools: (www.wcpss.net/newcomer/getting-started/registration/kindergarten.html)
Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public Schools: (www2.chccs.k12.nc.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=28933&sc_id=1184002464)
Orange County Public Schools (http://www.orange.k12.nc.us/policy/policies/4000/4131-P_School_Admissions.pdf)
Information about Local Public Schools:
Wake County Public Schools (www.wcpss.net)
Durham County Public Schools (www.dpsnc.net)
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools (www2.chccs.k12.nc.us)
Orange County Public Schools (www.orange.k12.nc.us)
Chatham County Public Schools (www.chatham.k12.nc.us)
Information about Childhood Cancer and Chronic Illness:
CureSearch for Children’s Cancer (www.curesearch.org)
National Cancer Institute (www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/youngpeople)
American Childhood Cancer Organization (www.candlelighters.org)
Striving for More (www.striving4more.org)
St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital (www.stjude.org)
Sickle Cell Disease Association of America, Inc. (www.sicklecelldisease.org)
• Childhood Leukemia: A Guide for Families Friends & Caregivers, Nancy Keene
• Educating the Child with Cancer, Edited by Nancy Keene
• Shelter from the Storm: Caring for a Child with a Life-Threatening Condition,
•Joanne Hilden, M.D. and Daniel R. Tobin, M.D.
• Childhood Cancer Survivors: A Practical Guide to Your Future, Nancy Keene, Wendy Hobbie and Kathy Ruccione
• How Do We Tell the Children? A Step-by-Step Guide for Helping Children Two to Teen Cope When Someone Dies, Dan Schaefer and Christine Lyons
• Living With Childhood Cancer: A Practical Guide to Help Families Cope, Leigh A. Woznick and Carol D. Goodheart, Ed.D.
• Gentle Willow: A Story for Children About Dying, Second Edition, Joyce C. Mills, Ph.D.
• Little Tree: A Story for Children With Serious Medical Problems, Second Edition. Joyce C Mills, Ph.D.
• Harry Goes To The Hospital: A Story For Children About What It's Like To Be In The Hospital, Howard J. Bennett, MD
Information about Trauma/Coping with Disasters
Information about Postpartum Support:
Postpartum Support International (www.postpartum.net)
Postpartum Education and Support (www.postpartumeducationandsupport.com)
• Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression, Brooke Shields